Sunday, February 9, 2014

She's Right

Among the many protests about this screen-free experiment, E pointed out that it's unfair, that THEY can't use screens, but WE can. She went on and on about how when she comes downstairs after going to bed, we're always on Facebook or email, or watching "Parenthood" (no, we don't actually watch that every day, just me, on Thursday nights, but it's the only TV show that she's aware of). And she pointed out how often, when she asks me for something, but I'm on the computer, and I'll say, 'Wait, not now, I need to finish this email.' Or I'll start a round of Scramble and then when I'm finished with that, I'll start another...and then open up Scrabble...

OK, she's right. I had to admit that. We play games on the iPad. I surf the internet and check Facebook like 30 times a day. I send out emails whenever I feel like it. So along with our kids, we're going to try to reduce our use too.  We were NOWHERE close to the distracted, tunnel-vision use that our kids were at, but yes, there were times, when I just got cranky with the kids because I was reading some article on the internet, and didn't want to stop. Did I HAVE to read it right then and there? No. Did I have to play my turn of Scrabble right then? No. I do have this compulsion to check email alot, or Facebook...maybe wondering if I'm missing some important piece of news or a request. I also have a compulsion of replying to emails as soon as I can.  The first thing I do in the morning is check email and Facebook. Throughout the day, I'm checking on the computer, the iPad and my phone. Is this really necessary? No.

So we're going on the same journey to change our habits as well.  There's a caveat though. My job is completely computer-based. So during work hours, yes, I will have to be attached to a screen, but otherwise, I'm going to try to put the devices down, and not be checking my mail throughout the day. That means I won't be replying to emails as quickly, and it means I will probably miss alot more Facebook posts (hm, maybe that's not such a bad thing.) And it probably means I should stop blogging right now as the kids are asking me why I'm on the computer when they aren't allowed to.

3 comments:

  1. I think it's excellent that you will be going screen-free to the same extent as the kids!! (With the obvious exceptions for work.) One of my biggest pet peeves growing up was that as kids, we were not allowed to have food or drinks in classrooms - but our teachers were always coming to class with giant Dunkin Donut cups or bagels or even M&M's! It was so hypocritical, and I can totally see E's point. And if you find yourself wanting to indulge in a half-hour of Scramble or Facebook, I think it would be fine to set up a family schedule for limited recreational screen-time. I know the title of this blog is "Screen-FREE Family", but I actually think it's more valuable to teach kids to be responsible and to learn to moderate their own use of technology - a skill they can use their whole lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the title isn't 100% accurate, because I will let them play in small increments, or with friends, or watch videos for special occasions. "Screen-Reasonable Family" just didn't have quite the right ring to it though! My aim is to be free from addiction to screens, not necessarily free from all forms of screens. Maybe it should be Wasteful-Screen-Time-Free?

    ReplyDelete