Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The Real Reason I Want to Limit Screens

So after our initial hiatus from screens, I slowly let up and let the kids play, probably more than half the days a week, some days maybe an hour or so at a time, some days less, but a lot more limited than before, but no 'set rules'.  But recently, I've found that the old problem of relying solely on electronics for entertainment and begging to have more time have crept back into our lives, and I've been contemplating incorporating rules back in...maybe 3 days a week? or 20 minutes per day? or only weekend mornings? The limits I propose are often met with negotiation attempts, and thus far, we haven't yet come up with a plan going forward. I'm tempted to restart my detox from all electronics again.

I've read numerous articles about the drawbacks of so much screen time (here's an example on the effect of video games on dopamine production of the brain) , and as much as I cite these reasons, I feel I'm talking to a wall. I tried to examine my own reasonings, and it boiled down to wanting my kids to experience real life, and wanting to share this precious time with my kids, because they will be grown before long. I want to explore the world with them, grow a garden with them, read with them, cook with them, talk with them, build projects with them...I want to BE together, and given the short amount of time we have together each day (after school work, activities, events, etc.), there's very limited time left to do those other things that I really want them to experience. And during those times when I can't be spending time directly with them, I want them to use their imaginations to fill their time, play with the plethora of toys and games that go untouched in our basement, or maybe explore deeper some personal interest.  Maybe it's selfish of me to want to direct their time in this manner, but I think in the long run, it will be more rewarding for them, as they look back on a childhood filled with memories of DOING things, not hours of video gaming.

I saw this posted in Facebook, and it really captured my thoughts and feelings about why I want to limit screen time - Letter to boys - The Real Reason I Say No to Electronics . She says is so much more eloquently than I could, and I'm going to read this to my kids.


No comments:

Post a Comment