Wednesday, June 4, 2014

A Ban on Handheld Devices?

Here's another interesting article I came across:
10 Reasons Why Handheld Devices Should be Banned

While I agree that the reasons she gives are valid, I think calling for a ban is a bit too much overkill. Maybe she was just using hyperbole to make a point. I don't know if she truly believes we need a LAW about this (as people in the comments are assuming), but I agree that all the reasons she mentioned are reasons we need to be wary of too much electronics usage, especially in kids, who haven't yet mastered self-regulation. It's definitely a worthwhile article to read.  I think parents need to be aware that it's worth fighting against, to not to give in to the constant begging to be on a screen because 'Well, what can I do about it?' or 'All kids these days are stuck on a screen', or 'Ok, fine, it gives me some peace and quiet.' It's well worth the effort to try to curb electronic usage in kids, for all the reasons she mentions in the article (rapid brain growth, delayed development, epidemic obesity, sleep deprivation, mental illness, aggression, digital dementia (attention deficit), addictions, radiation emission, unsustainability). Some of these reasons, I hadn't even thought of before, but I think they are valid points.

No comments:

Post a Comment